PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Beer lovers across the country have filed $5 million class-action lawsuits accusing Anheuser-Busch InBev of watering down its Budweiser, Michelob and other brands.
The suits were filed in Pennsylvania, California and other states on behalf of consumers allegedly cheated out of the beverage's stated alcohol content. Budweiser and Michelob each boast being 5 percent alcohol, while some "light" versions are said to be just over 4 percent.
Lead lawyer Josh Boxer of San Francisco said Tuesday the suits are based on information from former employees at some of the company's 13 U.S. breweries. Boxer said water is added just before bottling, and cuts the stated alcohol content by 3 to 8 percent. Robert Mills is one of the plaintiff's class action attorney. "A consumer should be able to go into a store and buy a can of beer, whatever brand they like and if it says on the label that it's six percent alcohol, it should be six percent."
The multinational Anheuser-Busch InBev calls the claims groundless, and says its beers fully comply with labeling
Legislation to be filed Tuesday by Rep. Jay Barnes would stop short of Obama's call to expand Medicaid coverage to adults earning up to 138 percent of the federal poverty level, or $32,500 for a family of four. But it would add some adults to the Medicaid rolls while also removing some children whose parents earn up to three times the poverty level.
Private insurers would bid to offer managed care plans, and patients could get cash for avoiding costly medical care.
House Speaker Tim Jones says Barnes' plan is a "commonsense conservative" proposal. But he says it could be at least a two-year project.
Ten coal miners were arrested during the march on the energy giant's head quarters. The members of the United Mine Workers of America say their members could lose healthcare and pension benefits if Patriot Coal goes bankrupt. The protesters say Peabody engineered the failure of Patriot.
Peabody maintains that Patriot was a viable company and struggled without any interference from Peabody.
Right now, prosecutions must start within 30 years after the victim's 18th birthday. The statute of limitations already does not apply to instances of forcible rape or forcible sodomy, attempted forcible rape or attempted forcible sodomy and kidnapping. The measure would allow prosecutions for child abuse at any time.
The House Crime Prevention and Public Safety Committee approved the legislation Monday.
Earlier this year, a state child sex abuse task force released a report urging lawmakers to eliminate the statute of limitations for first-degree statutory rape and first-degree statutory sodomy.