ST. PETERS, Mo. (AP) - A lawsuit filed Monday by the American Civil Liberties Union claims that the free-speech rights of a Ron Paul delegate were violated when he was arrested outside a Republican caucus in suburban St. Louis last year.
Brent Stafford of O'Fallon was part of the St. Charles County Republican Central Committee caucus on March 17, 2012, that grew so testy it was canceled. Stafford was arrested outside the high school gym where the caucus was held as he tried to gather other supporters of Ron Paul. He was charged with trespassing but later acquitted by a St. Peters municipal judge.
The suit names the city of St. Peters and the arresting officer, Tim Hickey. It seeks unspecified monetary damages.
Messages seeking comment from the city of St. Peters were not returned.
Busch Stadium is playing home to another sporting event this year.
Football teams from Southeast Missouri State and Southern Illinois University Carbondale will face off on September 21. Tickets for the game go on sale at cardinals.com/football on June 3rd and start at 10 bucks.
UPDATE 6:15 PM:
Two people died in Monday's terrorist attack at the Boston Marathon.
The Boston Globe confirmed that an 8-year-old boy is one of the two people who died.
The President was unwilling to call the bombing a terrorist attack during his statement on Monday afternoon, but a White House official classified it as a terror attack on Monday evening.
UPDATE 3:50 PM:
The Boston Globe reports the injury toll at the Boston Marathon Bombing has climbed to 64 wounded and 2 dead.
UPDATE 3:31 PM:
ABC News reports that Boston Police are asking people in the area of the bombing to avoid using cell phones for fear that they could trigger additional devices.
There are also reports that police have dismantled at least one additional explosive device.
UPDATE 3:08 PM
ABC News - Boston - Two explosions erupted the finish line of the Boston Marathon today, turning the annual race into a bloody crime scene.
The blasts occurred on Boyleston Street about three hours after the top runners had finished the race, but with thousands of marathoners still running the route.
According to law enforcement sources, the first blast was at the Marathon Sports running store before 3 p.m., and blew out windows in four nearby buildings, injuring at least 25 and killing 2.
About 10 second later, a second explosion occurred, severely injuring more bystanders, police said.
Boston EMS personnel could be seen shuttling the injured out of the blast area on wheelchairs. Several of them were bleeding from the face.
Massachussets Genreal Hospital has received four patients and is expecting more, according to a hospital spokesman.
A trauma nurse from the hospital told ABC News that the race's medical tent, already set up to deal with runner injuries, set up a morgue area at a triage center at the back of the tent. The medical staff reported multiple victims with severed limbs and children with severe burns.
Bomb squads are sweeping the area, checking suspicious packages and are testing for chemicals to help determine what kind of device was used, according to police.
Homeland Security Direction Eric Holder was in touch with the FBI in Boston and President Obama was notified of the blasts.
Police have told people in area to avoid trash cans, according to witnesses.
The explosions erupted on what is usually a festive day in Boston. It is designated Patriots Day and most offices are closed for the celebration and the marathon.
Debris from the explosions could be seen scattered throughout the spectators stands and finish line area of the marathon as emergency personnel cleared the area.
Video of the explosions showed plumes of white smoke pouring into the air above the street where runners were.
More than 26,00 runners were registered to compete in this year's marathon.
CHICAGO (AP) - Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts says a $500 million deal with the city of Chicago to renovate the nearly century-old Wrigley Field is a milestone.
Ricketts spoke to reporters Monday at Wrigley Field, the day after the deal with the city was announced. The plans include an electronic video screen and more night games. It still needs final approval.
Ricketts says money earned from the proposal would give the team the resources to get to the World Series. He says if the plan is approved the team would "win the World Series" for its fans and players. The last World Series championship for the Cubs came in 1908 - six years before Wrigley was built.
Ricketts calls it a "massive investment" that includes community contributions, like $1 million for a park.