POTOSI, Mo. (AP) - A mistrial has been declared in the first-degree murder case of an eastern Missouri man accused of killing his son-in-law.
The Park Hills Daily Journal reports jurors deliberated for several hours Tuesday before telling the judge they wouldn't be able to reach a unanimous verdict in the case of 47-year-old Martin Gorse of Cadet. The judge declared a mistrial and the case will be retried.
Gorse is accused of killing 31-year-old Ronald Coleman Jr. last year at Gorse's home. Gorse testified that he and Coleman argued. He claimed he shot the younger man in self-defense.
Prosecutors say a St. Louis County man recruited three teenagers to become prostitutes.
Anton Morris faces multiple charges, including sexual trafficing of a child. Morris allegedly convinced three girls, aged 16, 17, and 19, to start working for him as a prostitutes. Authorities say he set the first girl with a hotel room and started offering her services as a prostitute on April 15.
Morris now sits in jail on a $100,000 bond.
Mercy's hospital system is consolidating its physician clinic business office functions and with that comes job cuts.
The Chesterfield-based hospital system announced is cutting 70 jobs--19 here in St. Louis, the rest in Springfield, Mo., and Oklahoma City.
Mercy said it's trying to place eligible employees in open positions elsewhere within the company. Severance is being provided to employees based on their length of employment.
"Mercy’s revenue management division recently completed a consolidation of its hospital and physician clinic business office functions," Mercy said in a statement. "By bringing these teams together, the division will be able to achieve some of the patient satisfaction goals that Mercy has long been working toward, from creating a combined statement covering both hospital and clinic bills, to establishing a single phone number for scheduling appointments."
Mercy operates 32 hospitals and 300 outpatient facilities in Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma, and has 38,000 employees.
The FBI is asking for the public's help in identifying who made threats against Southern Illinois University in Carbondale last fall.
The (Carbondale) Southern Illinoisan reports that authorities say a threat was made against the school last September, a day before a bomb threat forced the late-night evacuation of a campus building. Both threats were mailed.
Calling the threats "frightening," the FBI said Tuesday they were not a harmless prank even though no one was harmed. The agency says evacuations are disruptive.
The FBI says the person behind the threats is likely immature and may have various grievances, been continually angry during last fall's semester "and prone to making rash, if unbelievable, statements about his complaints."