NEW YORK (AP) - A person familiar with the negotiations tells The Associated Press that all players targeted for drug suspensions other than Alex Rodriguez have accepted 50-game penalties from Major League Baseball.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity Monday because the suspensions had not yet been announced.
The person says All-Stars Nelson Cruz of Texas, Jhonny Peralta of Detroit and Everth Cabrera of San Diego are among the 12 who accepted penalties Monday.
Others include Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli and outfielder Fernando Martinez; Philadelphia pitcher Antonio Bastardo; Seattle catcher Jesus Montero; New York Mets infielder Jordany Valdespin and outfielder Cesar Puello; Houston pitcher Sergio Escalona; San Diego pitcher Fautino De Los Santos; and free agent pitcher Jordan Norberto.
MLB informed the Yankees on Sunday that Rodriguez will be suspended for his links to the Biogenesis of America clinic, which was accused of distributing banned performance-enhancing drugs, a person familiar with that decision said. That person also spoke on condition of anonymity because no statement was authorized.
The Yankees weren't told the exact length of the suspension, though they were under the impression it will be through the 2014 season, the person said.
Milwaukee outfielder Ryan Braun accepted a 65-game suspension two weeks ago, bringing to 14 the number of players - including Rodriguez - facing discipline in the probe, which was sparked when the Miami New Times published documents obtained from former Biogenesis associate Porter Fisher that linked several players to the clinic.
A new wrinkle to the school transfer story today. The ACLU of Eastern Missouri sent a letter to the superintendents of Mehlville and Kirkwood schools asking them to reconsider their decision to place limits on the number of transfers they will accept from Riverview Gardens.
ACLU Executive Director Jeffrey Mittman argues that all students are guaranteed an education.
"There cannot be arbitrary government action that would limit that right", Mittman says,"so for example, you cannot say there is a date cutoff by which you need to make that selection, or a lottery that would limit the right of students to attend the accredited school that their families select."
Mittman says the ACLU is not issuing a mandate to the districts, but says the letter is intended to open a dialogue with school officials.
7-Eleven is offering a reward in the case of a St. Louis clerk who was shot to death at one their locations earlier this summer. 30-year-old Bhutanese refugee Mon Rai was gunned down on June 10 at the 7-Eleven on Gravois and Bates in south County. He left behind a pregnant wife and an 8-year-old son. 7-Eleven says the reward will be given to anyone with information leading to “the apprehension, arrest and indictment” of those responsible for Rai’s death.
Cars parked in Forest Park overnight were targeted by vandals.
They were parked near the Grand Basin and Art Hill.
Scattered glass was strewn across the lot and police found several handbags that had been rummaged through and discarded.
Police found vandalized vehicles in the park with similar evidence found including broken windows, car doors left open and items thrown about. Authorities say they also had similar incidents on West Pine in the park.