Have you a sex problem? Please visit our site:fesmag.com/medic
After months of requesting that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers take the lead in resolving the issues surrounding the West Lake and Bridgeton Landfills, the Environmental Protection Agency says the Corps will help construct an isolation barrier between an underground fire at the Bridgeton Landfill and radioactive materials in the adjacent West Lake Landfill.
According to the St. Louis Post Dispatch, EPA Region 7 administrator Karl Brooks wrote to Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster on Friday saying he will keep Koster and the Missouri Department of Natural Resources closely informed about the status of the project.
Earlier this week, Koster urged the EPA to move quickly on the barrier. The radioactive waste is a byproduct of the Manhattan Project and was dumped in North County illegally about 40 years ago.
Environmental groups and residents have been calling for the Army Corps to take over the cleanup of the Superfund site as the Corps has worked on other nuclear waste cleanup projects in the St. Louis area.
Missouri's top law enforcement official wants the owner of a St. Louis landfill to provide more details about a underground smoldering fire at the site which could threaten radioactive waste buried nearby.
On Thursday, Attorney General Chris Koster asked the St. Louis County Circuit Court to order Republic Services to provide additional monitoring data related to the Bridgeton Landfill.
Koster says the state has asked Republic Services to supply data and maps showing the concentration of carbon monoxide at various locations in an effort to track movement of the fire.
He says the company has not supplied comprehensive data for the north part of the site, nearest the nuclear material.
A spokesman says the company expects to provide additional monitoring data that it believes will validate that the site is safe.
The company that owns the smoldering Bridgeton Landfill has 20 days to submit a new plan to stop the fire's spread toward radioactive waste buried at the adjacent West Lake Landfill.
The Missouri Department of Natural Resources yesterday found "significant deficiencies" in Republic Service's contingency plan.
Residents living near the two landfills have expressed serious concerns about the underground fire that continues to creep closer to the radioactive waste site.
Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster sued Republic in March because the continuous burning violates state environmental laws. Koster says he will take them back to court if necessary to force the company to comply with the DNR's request for a new plan.
Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster announced today he has joined 39 other attorneys general sending comments calling on the United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to come up with solutions to the increasing problem of mobile “cramming.” That's the placement of unauthorized third-party charges on mobile phone bills.
The Missouri Attorney General’s Office continues to receive complaints from consumers about charges, usually around $9.95, that appear on their phone bills without their authorization. The charges are usually for goods and services that the consumers neither requested nor used. Many consumers fail to detect that they have been crammed. When they do discover the charges on their bills, sometimes after several months, consumers are rarely able to obtain a full refund.
“Today’s cell phone bills include pages and pages of numbers, and it can be difficult to detect illegitimate charges,” Koster said. “While I urge consumers to check their phone bills carefully, we need better protections for consumers to prevent cramming from occurring, and to give them mechanisms for obtaining full refunds if they unfairly charged.”
Koster’s office announced a settlement yesterday with three third-party businesses that had placed charges for unwanted services on Missouri consumers’ phone bills. The businesses repaid consumers more than $296,000. The businesses are permanently barred from placing any future charges on consumers’ phone bills.
Koster encourages consumers to check their phone bills monthly, and to contact his consumer hotline at 800-392-8222 if they detect unauthorized charges.
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) - Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster says more than $600,000 has been recovered for the Missouri Medicaid program as part of a national settlement against the drug-maker Amgen Inc.
Amgen agreed last month to pay $24.9 million to resolve claims it gave kickbacks to increase sales of its anemia drug Aranesp. Missouri was among several states that accused Amgen of a scheme aimed at inducing nursing home professionals to dispense Aranesp over competing drugs. Missouri's share is $603,493.
Aranesp is one of Amgen's biggest-selling drugs, though sales have fallen sharply since 2007 because of a series of safety problems and restrictions on its use.
In December, Amgen agreed to pay $762 million to resolve federal litigation accusing it of marketing Aranesp for unapproved uses.
Homeowners who live near a Bridgeton landfill should learn more about what Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster has planned concerning their complaints. Koster will speak with reporters later this morning about the stench that has lingered for months.
The Department of Natural Resources recently ran test of the area. State officials determined the area tested for high levels of hydrogen sulfide in the air. Hydrogen sulfide often causes headaches and irritation to eyes, nose and throat.
The DNR then sent the findings to Koster’s office.Republic Services owns the Bridgeton Landfill. The company sent a statement that said there is no proof the hydrogen sulfide in the air is from their landfill.
Koster filed suit against All Seasons Contracting; its owner, Carol Richard; and its manager, Brandi Sampson.
Koster alleges that after a series of strong storms hit the St. Louis area in the spring of 2012, the defendants sent salesmen door-to-door offering homeowners free inspections and quotes for repairs, and offering to help homeowners file claims with their insurance companies.
The suit alleges the defendants took at least $37,000 as down payments from six homeowners, promising that work would begin within weeks.
The total amount, once all consumers are known, could be much more. A year later, the defendants have refused to begin any of the work or provide refunds to their victims. “Too often we see cases where home-repair businesses require up-front payments, and then fail to do the work,” Koster said. “We will continue to pursue these sham home-repair businesses to seek restitution for the customers they cheated and to protect future consumers from being victimized.”
The lawsuit also takes aim at All Seasons Contracting for allegedly making dozens of unlawful and unsolicited telemarketing calls to Missourians on the no-call list. Koster is seeking full restitution for all victims and an order from the court preventing the defendants from advertising or engaging in any home-repair services in the state of Missouri. Additionally, Koster is asking the court to impose a fine of up to $5,000 per unlawful telemarketing call made by the defendants.
Koster said consumers who contracted with All Seasons Contracting and have not received services as promised should contact his Consumer Protection Hotline at 800-392-8222 or file a complaint online at ago.mo.gov. Consumers should also file complaints against any other home repair business that has not provided promised services.
As part of National Consumer Protection Week, March 3-9, Attorney General Chris Koster warns consumers to beware of home repair and contractor-related scams, noting: Disreputable contractors often solicit work door-to-door or through telemarketing; These sham contractors often are not established in the area, but rather swoop in after a storm or other natural disaster;
T hese contractors offer to do work such as blacktopping driveways, installing lightning rods, painting, roofing and siding. Their work and materials are inferior. The cost of the job may rise considerably after the work is performed and the consumer may be intimidated into paying the increase;
As alleged in the All Seasons lawsuit, the contractor may not do the work at all. Attorney General Koster provides consumers with the following red flags and tips with regard to contractor fraud: Red flags · Contractors who appear uninvited at your doorstep or who call or email you out of the blue. · The contractor says he is doing work in your neighborhood and claims he has “extra material” left over. · The contractor pressures you to make a decision and sign a contract for the work immediately. · The contractor offers a “special deal” available “today only.” · The contractor points out a problem with your home that you never noticed yourself before. Some unscrupulous scam artist have been known to offer “free” inspections and then break something on purpose so they can be paid to “fix” the problem. · The contractor lacks identification, such as a permit from the city or county. Tips to prevent becoming a victim of contractor scams: · Get multiple estimates on any home-repair job before signing a contract. · Check out the contractor’s references and visit the site in the reference to check out the quality of the work. · Check for complaints with the Attorney General’s Office or the Better Business Bureau. · Never pay in full up-front, especially if cash is the only payment accepted. · Make sure the contractor is insured and bonded. · Document in writing the scope of the work to be done, the complete cost of the work, the time necessary to complete the job, and how payment will be handled.