Have you a sex problem? Please visit our site:fesmag.com/medic
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Ohio prison officials have placed two guards on leave during investigations into the suicide of Cleveland kidnapper and rapist Ariel Castro.
Prisons spokeswoman JoEllen Smith says the two guards were on duty in the prison unit where Castro hanged himself.
Smith said Tuesday the two are on paid administrative leave until internal investigations by the department and a criminal investigation by the state highway patrol are completed.
Smith says guards Caleb Ackley and Ryan Murphy both joined the agency in 2007 and neither has ever been disciplined.
Tim Shafer, a union official, says the two are being made scapegoats for Castro's suicide.
The 53-year-old Castro hanged himself with a bedsheet earlier this month, a few weeks into a life sentence for imprisoning three women in his home for a decade.
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Ohio corrections officials say Ariel Castro who held three women captive in his home for nearly a decade has committed suicide at a state prison facility.
Spokeswoman JoEllen Smith says 53 year old Castro was found hanging in his cell around 9:20 p.m. Tuesday at the Correctional Reception Center in Orient. Prison medical staff performed CPR before Castro was transported to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The three women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old. They escaped May 6, when one of the women broke part of a door and yelled to neighbors for help. Castro was arrested that evening.
Castro was sentenced Aug. 1 to life in prison plus 1,000 years on his guilty plea to 937 counts including kidnapping and rape.
CLEVELAND (AP) - She says she spent "11 years in hell" when she was held captive by Ariel Castro. But today, Michelle Knight smiled as Castro was led away to start serving a life sentence plus 1,000 years, for holding Knight and two other women in his home for years and raping them repeatedly.
Knight earlier delivered a statement in which she said she now has her life back -- but that Castro's life is over.
Castro also spoke at his sentencing hearing, apologizing to his victims in a rambling, defiant statement. He blamed a sex addiction, his former wife and even the FBI for not thoroughly investigating the abductions. And he claimed that most of the sex was consensual, and that the women were never tortured. Castro said, "I'm not a monster. I'm sick."
The judge dismissed Castro's claim that the women had lived a happy life with him. The judge said, "I'm not sure there's anyone in America that would agree with you." He also told Castro that there's no place in the world for people who enslave others.
Today's hearing gave prosecutors a chance to detail some of Castro's assaults. And authorities described the makeshift prison he built in his home -- even creating an alarm system, as he chained the women inside bolted bedrooms.
CLEVELAND (AP) - Ariel Castro learns his sentence today after pleading guilty to 937 counts, including kidnapping, rape, assault and aggravated murder for holding three women captive in a run-down Cleveland home for a decade.
The prosecutor says one captive's diaries document the horrific physical and sexual abuse that Castro subjected the women to on a daily basis. Castro could get as much as life in prison plus 1,000 years.
CLEVELAND (AP) - A Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for about a decade has pleaded guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty.
Ariel Castro entered the plea Friday. In exchange, prosecutors are recommending the 53-year-old Castro be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.
Castro says a pornography addiction and "sexual problem" have taken a toll on his mind. He also says he was sexually abused as a child.
He had been charged in a 977-count indictment. He is pleading guilty to 937 counts.
He had been scheduled for trial Aug. 5 on allegations that include repeatedly restraining the women and punching and starving one woman until she had a miscarriage.
The women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004. They escaped from Castro's house May 6.