CLEVELAND (AP) - A Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for about a decade has pleaded guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty.
Ariel Castro entered the plea Friday. In exchange, prosecutors are recommending the 53-year-old Castro be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.
Castro says a pornography addiction and "sexual problem" have taken a toll on his mind. He also says he was sexually abused as a child.
He had been charged in a 977-count indictment. He is pleading guilty to 937 counts.
He had been scheduled for trial Aug. 5 on allegations that include repeatedly restraining the women and punching and starving one woman until she had a miscarriage.
The women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004. They escaped from Castro's house May 6.
Authorities have recovered human remains in a septic tanks in St. Francois County.
Just after 11 AM, the body was found on un occupied property northeast of Bonne Terre. The discovery is the result of a 7-month missing person investigation that involved Federal, State and local Law Enforcement agencies.
Identification of the body has not been released pending notification of the family.
Anheuser-Busch confirms that their new Soulard biergarten will open next month.
The groundbreaking happened in May next door to the tour center at 12th and Lynch streets. The biergarten will have 17 beers on draught. The facility will also host daily beer tastings. The food menu is expected to expand later in the year.
Admission to the biergarten is free.