Alton Fire Chief Rich Mersinger says a Bethalto man was burned on his face and heads when a cigarette he was smoking ignited his oxygen tank.
The (Alton) Telegraph reports the man, described only as in his mid-50s, was injured Wednesday.
Mersinger says the victim appeared to have suffered first- and second-degree burns.
The man was treated at the scene before being taken to an Alton hospital. His medical status is not immediately clear.
Mersinger considers the case a reminder that people should refrain from smoking when they're using oxygen or are indoors where it's in use. He says oxygen is a fire hazard.