Click for St. Louis, Missouri Forecast

// a href = ./ // St Louis News, Weather, Sports, The Big 550 AM, St Louis Traffic, Breaking News in St Louis

 
 
 

St. Louis, MO (KTRS) - A St. Louis priest is accused of having sex with a minor at the Cathedral Basilica, where he served.

 

Reverend Joseph Jiang was arrested on Thursday evening. Prosecutors say he had sex with a male victim, who was under 14 years old. The alleged incidents took place between July 2011 and August  2012. The 30-year-old priest from China was assigned to the Cathedral Basilica in St. Louis, where he lived with and was mentored by Archbishop Robert Carlson. 

 

The Archdiocese of St. Louis says it has revoked the priest's canonical privileges. Church officials encourage any reports of misconduct involving minors be reported to the Director of Child and Youth Protection at 314-792-7704 or law enforcement officials.

Published in Local News

A St. Louis priest accused of molesting a teen, is no longer facing charges.

Father Joseph Jiang had pleaded not guilty to a child endangerment charge before the case was dismissed today. A lawsuit filed on behalf of the victim's family is still active. The family claims that Archbishop Robert Carlson did nothing to stop the abuse.

The Survivors Network of these Abused by Priests released saying they are disappointed. They are now asking for anyone who may have seen or suffered abuse by Father Jiang or others, step forward.

Published in Local News

The St. Louis Catholic Archbishop is named in a new lawsuit, accusing him of helping to cover up the sexual abuse of a second-grade girl and teen boy by a priest.

The alleged abuse too place when Archbishop Robert Carlson was a church official in Minneapolis three decades ago. The lawsuit says Carlson was one of three officials who knew of the repeated abuses at the hand of Reverend Robert Thurner. Carlson and the other officials never reported the incidents to police. Lawyers for the alleged victim say they will demand that Carlson answer questions under oath in the case.

Neither Carlson nor the St. Louis Archdiocese have yet commented on the charges.

 

Published in Local News

   Some thought he had been an angel, others a ghost, but a mysterious priest who seemed to just appear at a horrific accident scene on Highway 19 near Center, Missouri last week is real.  The Roman Catholic Diocese of Jefferson City issued a statement Monday identifying him as Fr. Patrick Dowling of Columbia.  

   Fr. Dowling has been the subject of speculation since arriving with anointing oils and praying with rescuers and 19-year-old Katie Lentz, of Quincy, Illinois, who was trapped in her mangled car. Then he had seemed to disappear.  

   The diocese says Fr. Dowling came across the scene while driving between morning Mass assignments.  

   Fr. Dowling wrote about the August 4 accident in the comments section of story about the crash on the National Catholic Register website. Here is what he wrote:

   “I had Mass in Ewing MO as the regular priest was sick. As I was returning, I arrived at the scene. The authorities were redirecting traffic. I waited till it was possible to drive up closer. I parked behind a large vehicle about 150 yards from the scene. I asked the Sheriff’s permission and approached the scene of the accident. I absolved and anointed Katie, and, at her request, prayed that her leg would not hurt. Then I stepped aside to where some rescue personnel and the pilot were waiting, and prayed the rosary silently. I left when the helicopter was about to take off, and before I got to my car it was on its way to Quincy. I was amazed at the calmness of the two Highway patrol men. The sergeant was completely in control, amazingly calm. Everybody worked as harmoniously as a Swiss watch despite the critical nature of the scene. I gave my name to one of the authorities, perhaps to the sergeant of Highway Patrol, explaining that I was returning having celebrated Mass at Ewing. It was the sergeant who, at the Sheriff’s request, gave me Katie’s name as I was leaving, so I could visit her in hospital—I assumed she would be taken to Columbia. I think there may have been angels there too and, in this context, I congratulate the fire team from New London and Hannibal, the Sheriff/deputies of Ralls County, the Highway Patrol personnel, the helicopter team, the nurses and all who worked so professionally. God has blessed your work. I hope the credit goes where it is due.”

 

Published in Local News

The parents of a young man who committed suicide four years ago want to hold the St. Louis Archdiocese accountable, so they're suing.

KTRS' Vicki Pimentel report the lawsuit claims an alleged sexual assault of the then 13 year old boy at a seminary camp led to a deep depression and ultimately his suicide at age 21.

The suit names the Archdiocese, Archbishop Robert Carlson and defrocked priest Bryan Kuchar as defendants. David Clohessy of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests says the Archdiocese has protected priests like Kuchar for too long. "We think it's irresponsible of church officials to recruit, educate, ordain, hire, train, transfer, shield and protect predator priests and then suddenly cut them loose when the legal and public relations heat becomes too hot."

Kuchar has been at the center of investigations before. He was convicted in 2003 of second degree sodomy of a 14 year old boy.  

Published in Local News
BELLEVILLE, Ill. (AP) - A Roman Catholic priest whose decades-old molestation of a former altar boy led to a $6.3 million payout in an Illinois lawsuit has been kicked out of the priesthood by Pope Benedict XVI.

Diocese of Belleville Bishop Edward Braxton announced the move involving 78-year-old Raymond Kownacki in a statement published in a recent edition of the diocesan newspaper, The Messenger. Braxton says the papal decree calls the defrocking "for the good of the church."

Kownacki is living in a St. Louis-area nursing home and has refused media requests for interviews. He has not been charged criminally.

Kownacki's misdeeds resulted in a $5 million jury award against the diocese to James Wisniewski in 2008. That payout grew to $6.3 million to reflect interest that accrued while the diocese appealed.
Published in Local News

Latest News

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
Prev Next
SWEDISH DOCTORS TRANSPLANT WOMBS INTO 9 WOMEN

SWEDISH DOCTORS TRANSPLANT WOMBS INTO 9 WOMEN

STOCKHOLM (AP) -- Nine women in Sweden have successfully received transplanted wombs donated from relatives in an experimental procedure that has raised some ethical concerns. T...

FIRST LADY CALLS SUMMIT ON FOOD MARKETING

FIRST LADY CALLS SUMMIT ON FOOD MARKETING

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Michelle Obama wants food makers and entertainment companies to spend less time advertising sweet and salty foods to kids and more time promoting healthier optio...

First lady wants people to drink more plain water

First lady wants people to drink more plain water

   WASHINGTON (AP) — Michelle Obama has pushed America to eat healthier and to exercise more. Now she says we should "drink up" too. As in plain water. And as in more of it.    ...

SALMONELLA OUTBREAK LINKED TO NM POULTRY HATCHERY

SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) -- A national outbreak of salmonella has been linked to an eastern New Mexico hatchery that sells live baby chickens, ducks and other poultry by mail and suppli...

BAXTER DRUG FAILS TO SLOW ALZHEIMER'S IN BIG STUDY

BAXTER DRUG FAILS TO SLOW ALZHEIMER'S IN BIG STUDY

DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) -- Baxter International Inc. says that a blood product it was testing failed to slow mental decline or to preserve physical function in a major study of 390 pa...

HEALTH INSURANCE ISN'T A YEAR-ROUND THING ANYMORE

HEALTH INSURANCE ISN'T A YEAR-ROUND THING ANYMORE

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Here's more fallout from the health care law: Until now, customers could walk into an insurance office or go online to buy standard health care coverage any t...

STUDY: TOBACCO CONTROL HAS SAVED MILLIONS OF LIVES

STUDY: TOBACCO CONTROL HAS SAVED MILLIONS OF LIVES

CHICAGO (AP) -- Anti-smoking measures have saved roughly 8 million U.S. lives since a landmark 1964 report linking smoking and disease, a study estimates, yet the nation's top d...

Proton radiation now available in St. Louis

Proton radiation now available in St. Louis

ST. LOUIS (AP) - Proton radiation, designed to get rid of cancerous cells but spare healthy tissue, is now available for the first time in St. Louis.      ...

© 2013 KTRS All Rights Reserved