A man is dead after a house fire in Edwardsville, now investigators are working to figure out how the fire started.
Emergency crews responded to the home in the 9-thousand block of Pin Oak Road, just east of I-55 around 5 a.m. Thursday.
First responders found the man's body in the upstairs bedroom.
The coroner's office tells KTRS News that multiple agencies are looking into the blaze but they don't think the fire is suspicious.
The man's name is being withheld pending family notification.
The water in some parts of Edwardsville may be a little brown, but it's still safe to drink. That's the message from Public Works Director Tim Harr.
He says a break in a 14 inch transmission line caused workers to reroute water city-wide and that may have stirred up sediment. As a result, about a thousand of the more than 9,000 water customers in Edwardsville, including the Public Works Department, are seeing discolored water from their taps.
Harr says the water is safe to drink. "We’ve tested it," he said. "The chlorine residuals are where they’re supposed to be, within the epa regulations. It doesn’t taste funny. It just looks a little funny with the sedimentation."
Harr says city workers opened 4-5 hydrants Wednesday to help flush the system and it might help if residents run their own taps 10-15 minutes to flush the lines.
Crews were working to move cable and telephone lines hit the Ameren gas line along north Main Street, causing gas to build up under the street and in the basement of the nearby apartment complex. Electricity to that building was disconnected as a precaution.
Crews drilled through the sidewalk to reach the break and cap it. Residents were allowed to return home, but had no gas service.